The University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy (CoP) offers an Early Assurance Program in collaboration with the University of Minnesota Crookston, Morris and Rochester system campuses.
About the program
The University of Minnesota Early Assurance Program provides an opportunity for highly-qualified students to receive conditional admission to the PharmD program at the top ranked University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy.
For students with a clear goal to pursue a PharmD, the Early Assurance Program can reduce the stress of the PharmD application process and provide extra support and preparation for successful matriculation into the PharmD program. Benefits include:
- Conditional admission to the PharmD program, pending completion of program entry requirements.
- Access to pharmacy advisors to assist with course and extracurricular planning.
- Access to faculty and pharmacist mentors.
- Special workshops on topics such as pharmacy career exploration, study skills, and interview preparation.
- Invitations to CoP community events.
- PharmCAS application fee waiver in the year of application to the PharmD program.
There are two pathways for this program, one for students who are applying for admission to one of the University of Minnesota campuses as an undergraduate student and one for students who are already enrolled as an undergraduate student.
How to apply to the Early Assurance Program
Incoming College Students
High school students or transfer students applying to the University of Minnesota Crookston, Morris, or Rochester campuses. Following admission to the Early Assurance program, students have up to four years to fulfill the program entry requirements.
- Apply through the undergraduate application process by December 1, 2023:
- When applying, students should indicate “pre-pharmacy” and respond to the four short answer questions specific to this program.
- Students will be reviewed for an early assurance interview with the PharmD program.
- Students will submit a simplified PharmCAS application and complete an affirmation interview one year prior to PharmD entry.
Current College Students
This program is only available to current students at the Crookston, Duluth, Morris, and Rochester campuses.
- Students generally apply for this program before completing 60 credits at their current institution
- Applications for entry in fall 2024 will open in early fall 2023 - submit this interest form and we will be in touch!
Students complete their undergraduate degree at their system campus, working with their Success Coach or Advisor to ensure completion of all requirements for the Doctor of Pharmacy program, which include:
- Successfully completing their bachelor’s degree requirements.
- Completing all PharmD program prerequisite courses (that were required at the time of admission) at their current institution with a minimum grade of B-; with permission, up to a maximum of 2 courses can be taken at another institution.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Maintain a full-time course load each semester.
- Meet once per semester with CoP pre-pharmacy advisor.
- Submit simplified PharmCAS application by September 1 in the year prior to entering the PharmD program.
- Participate in an affirmation interview during the year prior to entering the PharmD program.
After graduating from their institution, students complete their Doctor of Pharmacy degree in four years at the University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy.
Contact Cassie Tietz, PharmD Admissions Coordinator, at email@example.com.