Bachelor of Science / Doctor of Pharmacy
Swenson College of Science and Engineering | College of Pharmacy
About the accelerated program
The Swenson College of Science and Engineering (SCSE) and the College of Pharmacy (CoP) provide a special program option for UMD undergraduate students allowing for the completion of both the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) and Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degrees in a total of seven years. Students in this program receive personalized guidance as they progress through a curriculum including pharmacy prerequisite courses, coursework in an SCSE major, and experiences that will help them present a strong application to pharmacy school.
- 3+4 B.S. in Biomedical Science / PharmD
- Access to faculty and students in the top ranked University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy
- Personalized advising
- Strong foundation in biology and chemistry to prepare for the PharmD program and a career in healthcare
- Apply experience with lab techniques and data analysis to responsibly design, safely perform and critically analyze the results of experiments in major area of interest
- Effectively communicate (orally and in written form) and work in teams
Pharmacists enjoy a high degree of career choice and flexibility, with positions across a wide range of settings and specialties. In addition to roles like community pharmacy (like Walgreens or CVS) and hospital pharmacy, roles exist in drug development, long-term care, governmental agencies, and the pharmaceutical industry.
This program first requires admission to UMD as an undergraduate student in an SCSE major. During the junior (third) year of the undergraduate program, the student completes the application for the PharmD program. If offered admission to the PharmD program, the student will forego the fourth year of the undergraduate degree and directly enter the PharmD program on the Duluth campus. The B.S. degree is granted at the conclusion of the first year of the PharmD curriculum. Scholarships are available during both application processes.
In addition to clubs related to specific majors in SCSE, the Pre-Pharmacy Club serves students planning on attending pharmacy school by providing professional development activities and volunteer opportunities. The club also provides social activities and networking events with current students, faculty, and alumni of the PharmD program.