Choose a Major You Like - Any Major!
Students from over 60 different majors are in the program.Although a bachelor's degree is not required to start the PharmD program, applicants with a bachelor's degree are given preference, and a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. will fulfill some prerequisites. About 90% of our students have a bachelor's degree.
Course Requirements for Pharmacy School Admissions
The courses listed below need to be completed before students begin the PharmD program. They can be planned or in progress at the time students apply. For Fall 2019 admission, all prerequisites must be completed by August 19, 2019; the prerequisite deadline for Fall 2020 admission is August 17, 2020. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that they are on track to fulfill prerequisites by using the guides of preapproved courses below, or consulting with admissions staff.
|General biology (1)||1 course with lab|
|Microbiology||1 course||With lab|
|Human or Comparative Anatomy (2)||1 course||With lab
|Human or Comparative Physiology (2)||1 course||With lab
|Advanced Biology (3)||1 course|
|Calculus I||1 course|
|General Chemistry||2 courses, 1 lab||2 courses, 2 labs|
|Organic Chemistry||2 courses, 1 lab||2 courses, 2 labs|
|General Physics||1 course|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences (4)||2 courses or U.S. bachelor's degree||U.S. bachelor's degree|
|English Composition, advanced (4)||1 course or U.S. bachelor's degree||U.S. bachelor's degree|
|Introductory Communication (4)(5)||1 course or U.S. bachelor's degree||U.S. bachelor's degree|
- If an applicant does not have a general biology lab, a more advanced biology lab may be substituted.
- If combined A&P sequence is 2 semesters, both must be completed (A&P I&II). If A&P is combined into one course covering the entire body, it must be a minimum of 4 semester credits. Labs are recommended but not required for anatomy or physiology.
- Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Genetics or Molecular Biology will fulfill this requirement. Any other course must focus on the human body.
- The social and behavioral science, advanced composition, and communication requirements will be considered fulfilled for applicants who will have completed a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution prior to beginning the PharmD program. Applicants without a bachelor's degree must fulfill the social and behavioral science, advanced composition, and communication requirements as listed. A final official transcript will be required. For applicants with a degree, we reserve the right to verify that their non-math and non-science coursework is sufficient.
- Approved communication courses include Introduction to Communication, Public Speaking, Interpersonal Communication, Intercultural Communication, Organizational or Business Communication, and Group Communication. Media communication courses do not fulfill this prerequisite.
The Next Step
- Must be taken at a regionally-accredited university, college, or community college
- Must be at least 3 semester credits, taken A-F, and completed with a grade of C- or better
- May be satisfied by IB, PSEO, or College in the Schools credit if it appears on a college transcript
- May be satisfied by AP exam if you score a 3 or higher, or appears as credit on a college transcript
- May be satisfied with online courses if taken for credit at a regionally-accredited university, college, or community college
International coursework can fulfill the prerequisites. If you took international courses that do not appear on a US transcript, a course-by-course transcript evaluation by one of the evaluators listed on the PharmCAS website must be submitted as part of your PharmCAS application.
- Find out more: international applicants & coursework
Guides of Approved Prerequisites
Click on the state in which your school is located and use the tabs to find a Guide of Approved Prerequisites for that school. We are unable to provide a guide for every institution, so your school may not be listed. If you cannot find your school and would like to verify courses to meet prerequisites, please submit our Request for Prerequisite Evaluation form. You will need to upload your transcript(s) or WES foreign coursework evaluation, so be sure you have those on hand. Please note that for foreign coursework, the only approved course-by-course foreign transcript evaluation service for applicants is WES. We strongly advise you to order a WES course-by-course evaluation for the purposes of this request for prerequisite evaluation. If you request that we review your prerequisites based on another foreign transcript evaluation service, there is a risk that WES will not evaluate courses in the same manner, which will result in differences in what is considered fulfilled.
If you are an advisor and notice incorrect or out of date information in the prerequisite guide for your institution, please contact our Admissions Coordinator, Olivia Buncher, at firstname.lastname@example.org.