The Department has over 30,000 square feet of modern research laboratory space located within Weaver-Densford Hall and the 717 Delaware building of the University's Academic Health Center. A portion of our faculty occupy a state-of-the-art cancer research building in the new University of Minnesota Biomedical Discovery District.
Standard chemical research instrumentation housed in the department to which students have hands-on access includes several NMR spectrometers with autosamplers, FT-IR, UV-Vis, and fluorescence spectrophotometers, and a DNA/RNA synthesizer. Also available are numerous smaller pieces of equipment for separation, purification, and quantification, including HPLC systems, ultracentrifuges, liquid scintillation counters, and fluorescence and phosphor gel imaging. Cell and tissue culture facilities are available for molecular biology work.
The Department, in collaboration with the Institute for Therapeutics Discovery and Development, operates a high throughput screening laboratory, a small molecule lead and probe discovery laboratory, and a scale-up cGMP laboratory. In collaboration with the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute, the Department supports a state-of-the-art molecular modeling laboratory. Students also have access to core facilities for NMR spectroscopy (500, 600 and 800 MHz instruments), mass spectroscopy (EI, APCI, MALDI-TOF, and FAB), amino acid analysis, and oligonucleotide and peptide synthesis.
Medicinal Chemistry Resources
Graduate Faculty Research Websites
Research Facilities Links
- Biophysical Instrumentation
- Center for Drug Design
- Center For Mass Spectrometry and Proteomics
- Department of Chemistry Mass Spectrometry Facility
- Department of Chemistry NMR Lab
- Department of Chemistry X-Ray Crystallography Facility
- Institute for Therapeutics Discovery and Development
- Masonic Cancer Center Analytical Biochemistry Facility
- Masonic Cancer Center Flow Cytometry Facility
- Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
- Structural Biology NMR Resource