Professional Education Division
The Professional Education Division supports the College of Pharmacy's teaching and learning mission through the coordination of our professional programs, experiential education offerings, and innovative continuing and online learning opportunities. We additionally provide services to support student learning and professional development as well as our faculty members’ world-class instruction in pharmaceutical sciences and pharmacy practice. The Division is separated into the following units under the leadership of Dr. Caroline Gaither, Senior Associate Dean of Professional Education:
- Office of Student Services
- Office of Teaching, Learning, & Assessment
- Pharmacy Learning Collaborative
- Office of Applied & Experiential Education
- Pharmaceutical Care Learning Center
- Office of Assessment & Research
These units work together to coordinate and develop different aspects of the Doctor of Pharmacy program as well as the College of Pharmacy's continuing and online education, in order to develop world-class leaders in pharmaceutical practice. Within the units, the following faculty and staff members provide administrative and operational support to support the division as a whole:
Within a welcoming, inclusive, and respectful environment, the Office of Student Services (OSS) co-creates the conditions to prepare, enroll, support, and empower competent and transformative future pharmacists.
OSS staff recruit a diverse array of prospective students, advise them to be competitive applicants, manage the admissions process, and create admissions and recruitment strategy that meets the needs of the college and workforce. In addition, OSS creates strategy and planning to ensure the optimal student experience in the college through student engagement, student advising, career development, and helping PharmD students overcome obstacles to their education.
- Peter Haeg, Director
- Olivia Buncher, Admissions Coordinator
- Becky Carlson, Career Services Coordinator & Student Advisor
- Shannon Greely, Recruiting Coordinator
- Jennifer Niemeier, Executive Student Services Specialist
- Amy Renne, Academic Advisor
- Sarah Springer, Admission & Student Records Specialist
- Katherine Vukelich, Student Engagement Coordinator
Teaching, Learning, & Assessment
The Office of Teaching, Learning, & Assessment (TLA) facilitates all aspects of instruction for the PharmD curriculum. This office manages scheduling of courses, rooms, and examinations across both campuses; provides instructional, curricular, and syllabus support; and provides assessment services of learning outcomes at the course-level.
Pharmacy Learning Collaborative
The Pharmacy Learning Collaborative (PLC) creates and facilitates innovative, interactive online courses and live learning experiences for undergraduate, graduate, and professional students; practicing professionals; alumni; and health care organizations. PLC is dedicated to providing high quality educational opportunities to current and future pharmacists.
- Amy Pittenger, Director & Associate Professor
- Rebecca Balestrieri, Strategic Business & Operations Manager
- Cheryl Ekegren-Kirby, Continuing Pharmacy Education Administrator
- Claire Fenimore, Student Services Specialist
- Jody Lounsbery, Associate Professor
- Sarah Maxwell, Course Coordinator
- Anna Milone, Teaching Specialist
- Kristyn Williamson, Teaching Specialist
The Office of Applied & Experiential Education (AEE) manages the practice components of the PharmD curriculum, including Introductory & Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (IPPEs & APPEs) and the Pharmceutical Care Learning Center. AEE acts as liasion and coordinators of our preceptors in clinics across the state of Minnesota, managing the annual placement of students in clinical sites, training of preceptors, and completion & assessment of learning objectives.
- Christene Jolowsky, Executive Director & Assistant Professor
- Dawn Carlson, Associate Director & Assistant Professor
- Todd Johnson, Experiential Coordinator & Associate Professor
- Mary McGuiggan, Director of Preceptor Development
- Raquel Rodriguez, Director of Experiential Education & Assistant Professor
- Michele Smoody, Rotation and Assessment Coordinator
- Heather Blue, Institutional IPPE & Assistant Professor
- Scott Chapman, Acute Care/Institutional Practice & Associate Professor
- Caitlin Frail, Community Practice and Community IPPE & Assistant Professor
- Christene Jolowsky, Institutional IPPE & Assistant Professor
- Jean Moon, Ambulatory Care & Associate Professor
- Ann Philbrick, Patient Care Electives & Associate Professor
- Jason Varin, Community IPPE & Assistant Professor
Pharmaceutical Care Learning Center
Emulating the real-world clinical settings pharmacists work in, the Pharmaceutical Care Learning Center (PCLC) provides a lab setting for students at our Twin Cities and Duluth campuses to practice skills in patient care, sterile and non-sterile compounding, and practice management.
Assessment & Research
Working closely with the College's Assessment Committee and other subdivisions of PED, the Office of Assessment & Research (OAR) collects and analyzes data and prepares reports about student learning and the student experience in the PharmD program. OAR also provides support for College faculty, staff and committees interested in studying these areas. Serving as a clearinghouse for information about assessment activities occurring throughout the College, OAR maintains assessment-related information required by ACPE for continuing accreditation of the PharmD program.