Richard (Rick) Kingston, PharmD
Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, 1978
Bachelor of Pharmacy, University of New Mexico, 1976
The focus of my research, service and education efforts has been in the area of Clinical Toxicology and Consumer Product Safety including Regulatory Policy making and all issues related to the safe and effective use of consumer products. My research and practice interests coincide with those of my colleagues at our practice site, SafetyCall International PLLC, where we provide corporate clients and manufacturers with authoritative, state-of-the-art post market surveillance support. It has been my goal to educate our students as to how they can use their training to help companies design, market and monitor for safety, a variety of consumer products that will meet their intended use without injuring or adversely impacting consumers, their pets or the environment. In addition to advising the consumer product markets that include EPA and CPSC regulated products, I have a specific interest in poisoning data collection systems as well as interpretation of incident data depicting the safety of drugs, dietary supplements, and botanical containing natural products.
- Poisoning Prevention
- Post Market Safety Surveillance and Product Stewardship
- Epidemiology of toxicology related incident data
- Consumer product safety and related regulatory affairs and regulatory policy
- Advances in the clinical management of patients being treated or evaluated for drug
- toxin or consumer product exposures
- Drug; Dietary Supplement; and Botanical Safety
- Selected Publications
- Kingston, RL, Pfeifle, C.E., Cipolle, R.J., Zaske, D.E., Eells, C.B., Johnson, H.L.: Comprehensive Pharmacy Services for a State Correction Facility. American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy 39:86-89 (Jan), 1982.
- Kingston RL, Hall SH, Sioris LJ: Clinical Observations and Medical Outcome in 149 Cases of Arsenate Ant Killer Ingestion. Clinical Toxicology, Vol 31, No. 4, 581-591 (1993)
- Kingston RL, Filandrinos D. Family Practice Monograph on Poisoning. American Academy of Family Practice. February 1997
- Kingston RL, Chen WL, Harris CR, Sioris LJ. Chlorpyrifos: a ten-year US poison center exposure experience. Vet Hum Toxicol. 1999 Apr;41(2):87-92
- Allen LV, Taylor-Bond J, Kingston RL, et al. A Healthcare Professional’s Guide to Evaluating Dietary Supplements. An ADA/APhA Special Report from the Joint Working Group on Dietary Supplements. The American Pharmaceutical Association and The American Dietetics Association. March 2000.
- Kingston RL, Borron SW. The relative safety of ephedra compared with other herbal products. Ann Intern Med. 2003 Sep 2;139(5 Pt 1).
- Kingston R, Blumenthal M. A Rational Perspective on Adverse Events Reports on Herbs: Misinterpretation of Adverse Reactions Tabulated in the TESS Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers as They Relate to Ephedra Dietary Supplements. HerbalGram 2003;60:48-53.
- Kingston R. Remarks concerning new tools and methodologies for research and clinical practice. Thrombosis Research (2005) 117, 119-121
- Kingston R. Challenges in collecting, accessing and evaluating post market surveillance AERS in patients receiving dietary supplements. Thrombosis Research (2005) 117, 137-144
- Harris IM. Kingston RL. Rodriguez R. Choudary V. Attitudes towards complementary and alternative medicine among pharmacy faculty and students. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 70(6):129, 2006 Dec 15.
- Thomas G. Osimitz, Nancy Sommers and Richard Kingston. Human exposure to insecticide products containing pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide (2001–2003) Food and Chemical Toxicology, Volume 47, Issue 7, July 2009, Pages 1406-1415
- Selected Textbook and Textbook Chapters:
- Kingston, RL. Herbal, Traditional and Alternative Medicines. Haddad and Winchester’s 4th Edition of Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose. Elsevier Press, NY, NY. 2007
- Tracy, TS. Kingston, RL (Co-Editors): Herbal Products Toxicology and Clinical Pharmacology, Second Edition. A volume of the Forensics Science and Medicine Series. -- Humana Press, Totowa, NJ. 2007
- Kingston, RL: Chapter 185: Pesticide Poisoning. Textbook of Critical Care Medicine, Sixth Edition, Edited by Jean-Louis Vincent, Published by Elsevier Press, 2011