Omolayo Umaru, PharmD, MS
Doctor of Pharmacy, University of Benin, Benin-City, Nigeria
Master of Science (Clinical Pharmacy), University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Bachelor of Pharmacy, Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria
Omolayo Umaru is currently pursuing a PhD in Social and Administrative Pharmacy at the College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota. In addition, she’s obtaining a Minor in Business Management from the Carlson School of Management. Apart from other qualifications, she is a Fellow of the West African Postgraduate College of Pharmacists, where she completed a residency in Clinical Pharmacy; and she has many years of experience in patient-care, embracing both community and hospital pharmacy practice.
Her research interests include - Pharmaceutical Health Services & Pharmacotherapy Outcomes Evaluation (including patients’ perspectives and experiences with chronic-disease medication-use, and adherence issues); Utilizing mixed-methods research to explore medication-induced addiction, medication-use patterns & socio-cultural influences of Complementary & Alternative Medicine (CAM)-use among vulnerable populations; and Community-Based Participatory Research - with specific focus on immigrant populations.
Awards & Recognition
- Recipient, SAPH Summer Research Fellowship (2023).
- Awardee, Marcellus and Laura Grace Fellowship in Social and Administrative Pharmacy (2023).
- Awardee, SAPH Alumni Fellowship (2023).
- Peer-reviewer, PLOS One journal (Public Library of Science) – October 2023.
- Member, American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Member, Minnesota Public Health Association (MPHA)
- Member, International Society for Pharmaco-economics & Outcomes Research (ISPOR), UMN Student chapter
- Assistant Director, Representative to External Organizations - Council of International Graduate Students (CIGS), University of Minnesota: October 2022 – August 2023
- Director, Representative to External Organizations - Council of International Graduate Students (CIGS), University of Minnesota: October 2022 – August 2023
- Member, Graduate Students’ Advisory Board – University of Minnesota
- Prospective mentor, Concordant Mentoring Program for Black Pharmacy Students, College of Pharmacy, UMN
- French (writing)
Drugs & the US Health-Care System (PHAR 4204/5204) : Teaching Assistant, Pharmacy Learning Collaborative (Fall 2022); Teaching Assistant, Pharmacy Learning Collaborative (Spring 2023); Teaching Assistant, Pharmacy Learning Collaborative (Fall 2023); Teaching Assistant, Office of Curriculum Operations, College of Pharmacy (Summer 2023); Teaching Assistant, Pharmacy Learning Collaborative (Spring 2024)
Research Areas (Publications)
Ipingbemi AE., Ajanaku OO., Umaru OT. Assessment of Community Pharmacists’ Knowledge, and Counselling Practices on Oral Contraceptive-Use in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria. Journal of Contemporary Studies in Epidemiology and Public Health (Accepted: October 12, 2023); Okoro ON, Kennedy JE, Trok CB, Singer D, Scott DA, Umaru OT (2023) A Community-Based, Grassroots Intervention for Covid-19 Vaccination in the Black Population. J Community Med Health Educ 13:805. Link: https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/a-communitybased- grassroots-intervention-for-covid19-vaccination-in-the-black-population.pdf