PHAR 1002: Medical Terminology
- Self-paced online course
- Accelerated 10-week schedule
- 2 credits
- Offered Fall, Spring, and Summer
This course is open to any student with an interest in the subject.
Textbook: Allan, D. M., & Basco, R. C., (2019). Medical language for modern health care (4th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill Education.
Note: Phar 1002 and Phar 5201 are equivalent courses. Credit will not be awarded for this course if you have previously taken Phar 5201.
Interested in learning the difference between an antigen and an antibiotic? During this course, you will not only increase your medical vocabulary by more than 2500 words at your own pace, you will also learn to identify and articulately describe a wide variety of medical conditions and processes. Communication related to disease states, procedures, and diagnostics in healthcare can sometimes seem like another language. This course will help you recognize medical abbreviations, relate terms to procedures and diagnostics, and comprehend the meaning of medical terminology by using word elements. If you are interested in learning more about the healthcare field or your own medical care, this course is a great place to start.
Special Textbook Information:
An online version of the required textbook for this course is automatically provided, at a cost of $68, to all students enrolled in the course. Students will receive access to the textbook and Connect website directly through the Canvas course site, which will be available approximately one week before the course starts each semester. The $68 fee will be directly billed to students' accounts two weeks after the semester starts. Students should not independently purchase the textbook.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify, define, and spell prefixes, suffixes, root words, combining forms, medical terms, and abbreviations
- Construct medical terms by using word elements
- Recognize terms of selected structures and systems, functions and conditions of the body
- Relate terms related to disorders, pathologies, surgical operations, diagnostics, and therapeutic procedures and interventions
- The Anatomy of Medical Terms
- Word Analysis and Communication
- The Body as a Whole
- Integumentary System
- Digestive System
- Urinary System
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Nervous System
- Cardiovascular System
- Lymphatic and Immune System
- Respiratory System
- Skeletal System
- Muscles, Tendons, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R)
- Special Senses of the Eye and Ear
- Endocrine System