Ilo Leppik, MD
B.Sc., Chemistry (1964), Haverford College - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
M.D. (1968), University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Dr. Ilo E. Leppik is an epilepsy specialist at UMP Epilepsy Care Minneapolis and Professor of Pharmacy and Neurology at the University of Minnesota.He has been practicing in the area for 40 years. He has done extensive research regarding epilepsy in the elderly funded by the NIH. This has included studying how epilepsy medicines change as one gets older. Research has also involved studying epilepsy in nursing homes.
Dr. Leppik is the past President of the American Epilepsy Society was on the Board of Directors of the Epilepsy Foundation of America and chaired its professional advisory board. He has given many lectures in the USA and internationally. Dr. Leppik’s research is widely published with over 240 peer reviewed articles and more than 250 abstracts. He has coauthored numerous books and authored Contemporary Diagnosis and Management of the Patient with Epilepsy which has 650,000 copies in print and Epilepsy: A Guide to Balance Your Life, sponsored by the American Academy of Neurology as part of their educational series for patients and families.
Current research includes using naturally occurring canine status epilepticus as a translational platform for new drugs and Minnesota cannabis for epilepsy.
Awards & Recognition
- William Lennox Award for Lifetime Achievement, American Epilepsy Society 2007
- Named in Epilepsy Section of The Best Doctors in America, 1992 to 2009
- Named in Who's Who in the World, 1997 to present
- International League Against Epilepsy Clinical Pharmacology Award, 1986
- The Penfield Award for Excellence, Montreal Neurological Institute 1975
Founding and Managing Editor, Epilepsy Research, 1986 - 2006
Schmidt D, Leppik IE, Compliance in Epilepsy, New York: Elsevier, 1988.
- Anderson VE, Hauser WA, Leppik IE, Noebels JL, Rich SS, Genetic Strategies in Epilepsy Research, New York: Elsevier, 1991.
- French JA, Dichter MA, Leppik IE, New Antiepileptic Drug Development: Preclinical and Clinical Aspects, New York: Elsevier, 1993.
- Leppik IE. Contemporary Diagnosis and Management of the Patient with Epilepsy, Newtown, PA: Handbooks in Healthcare, 1st Edition 1993; 2nd Ed. 1994; 3rd Ed 1996; 4th Ed 1998; 5th Ed 2000; 6th Ed. 2006. Total copies in print = 660,000.
- Leppik IE, Homan WR. Rational Polypharmacy, Amsterdam, Elsevier, 1996.
- French JA, Leppik IE, Dichter MA (eds). Antiepileptic Drug Development: Advances in Neurology (Vol. 76), New York: Lippincott-Raven, 1998.
- Leppik IE. Epilepsy: A Guide to Balancing Your Life (American Academy of Neurology) New York, Demos 2007