Alumni Volunteer During U of M Day of Service
As part of the U of M Day of Service, the Pharmacy Alumni Society and Century Mortar Club created an event of picking up trash in respective member communities on Earth Day (April 22, 2023). Board members of these organizations and their families and neighbors spent more than 21 hours in service!
- Dr. Robert Bechtol, ‘21, Dr. Michael Nelson, ‘98, and Dr. Kristin Janke, ‘93 (current faculty), are part of the authorship team for the 2022 Best SAS Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Publication Award, which was recognized on June 29, 2023. The paper is titled, “Capturing employer’s perceptions of key variables in exceptional new practitioners’ success by using a modified Delphi process.”
- Dr. Athena Cannon (leadership resident '22; FUHN clinical pharmacist) and colleagues published the article, “Exploring the Medication-related Needs of Sports Medicine Organizations in the Journal of American Pharmacists Association.”
- Dr. Jill Cernohous, ‘07, is featured in the Duluth News Tribune article, “Essentia offers glimpse into new hospital in Duluth.”
- Dr. Ronda Chakolis, ‘09, the newly appointed president of the Minnesota Board of Pharmacy.
- Dr. Ghada Elnashar, ‘17, is featured in a recent issue of the American Pharmacists Assocation’s Pharmacy Today, “The places pharmacists are going: A look at some nontraditional careers.”
- Dr. Phuong "Sophie" Le, ‘21, ImpactPharm,” at the 2023 APhA Annual Meeting as part of the PharmTank competition.
- Dr. Scott Nei, ‘12, was inaugurated as Minnesota Society of Health-System Pharmacist president at the MSHP Annual Meeting on April 13, 2023.
- Dr. Haley Pals, ‘19 PGY-1 residency graduate, is featured in the ASHP article, “With X-Waiver Gone, VA Pharmacists Play Bigger Role in Treating Opioid Use Disorder.”
- Dr. Rachel Rockwell, ‘16, is featured in the Star Tribune article, “A smart solution for high drug costs.”
- Loan Tran, ‘23, and Dr. Keri Hager, ‘06 (current faculty), had the article “Pharmacist-delivered comprehensive medication management in a substance use disorder clinic, an 18-month descriptive study“ published in the Journal of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy.
- Numerous College of Pharmacy alumni were recognized with awards at the 2023 Minnesota Society of Health-System Pharmacists (MShP) Annual Meeting. Award winners include:
- Exemplary Industry Recognition Award: Dr. Craig Else. ‘04
- Outstanding Student Award: Dr. Micaela Den Hartog, ‘23
- Outstanding Pharmacist Award: Dr. Kelly Moritz, ’06
- Tom Kohout MSHP Meritorious Service Award:Dr. Christene Jolowsky, ‘81
- Hallie Bruce Bruce Memorial Lecture Award: Dr. Kevin R. Dillon, PharmD, MPH, FMSHP, ‘83
- Outstanding Research Poster Award: Dr. Caitlin Schanz, ‘22
- Fellowship in MShP
- Dr. Heather Blue, '07
- Dr. Sue Haight, '09
- Dr. David Fuhs, '87
- Dr. Benjamin Anderson, '07
- Friend of the College of Pharmacy, Joe Meese, passed away March 17, 2023. Meese was an active member of the Duluth Area Pharmacists when healthy, a vocal provider of input to the College of Pharmacy, and a preceptor to many students.
- Emil John Staba, passed away in July 2023. Staba was a retired professor of pharmacognosy and medicinal chemistry. He was a leader in plant cell culture and will be missed among colleagues and friends.
- Yun Kyung Joe, PharmD student in the Class of 2021, passed away on December 21, 2022. Yun was awarded her degree posthumously at this year’s commencement ceremony.