Billing for MTM Services in Minnesota
This five-part online course provides foundational knowledge for understanding the overall fee-for-service billing landscape for medication therapy management, also called comprehensive medication management, in Minnesota. It also provides the basics on contracting, provider enrollment and credentialing, service expectations, and claim reconciliation in addition to providing an understanding of the support structures needed to bill for services.
The materials for this course are hosted in Canvas, the University's learning management system, which requires a University of Minnesota account to access. If you have an existing UMN account, you can register for this course using that account; otherwise, you will be directed to create a University of Minnesota Guest Account during registration.
This program is designed for pharmacists who provide MTM services in Minnesota and have the need to be reimbursed through Medicare.
- Describe payers in Minnesota reimbursing for MTM using fee-for-service mechanisms.
- Compare the different billing mechanisms that exist, including MTM CPT codes, incident to billing and Medicare Part D
- Discuss the contracting process in relation to billing and payer credentialing
- Outline various components of a contract and the considerations needed for each
- Discuss Enrollment and Credentialing Processes necessary for billing MTM Services.
- Provide tools for practitioner enrollment in DHS and PMAP plans.
- Describe key factors in creating necessary infrastructure to send claims and receive reimbursement for services
- Evaluate participation in MTM networks specific for your clinical site
- Review the life cycle of a claim
- Discuss specific billing requirements for Minnesota Medicaid plans
- Review how to determine the status of a claim
Billing for MTM Services is a fully online, self-paced course that covers a range of topics and concludes with a cumulative quiz. This course includes five modules. Each module contains a video presentation to help you master these topics and prepare for the final assessment. Participants will be required to pass the 11-question quiz with a score of 70% or better. The learning materials and assessment will be available online 24/7.
Overall Landscape of Payment for MTM Services in Minnesota
Provider Enrollment and Credentialing
Implementation of Billing for MTM Services
Claim Reconciliation Process for Documentation and Billing
In support of improving patient care, University of Minnesota, Interprofessional Continuing Education is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
This knowledge-based online educational offering has been approved for 2 contact hours. The Universal Activity Number is JA0000810-0000-20-008-H04-P.
Following successful completion of the online activity and an activity evaluation, participant data will be submitted to The Monitor within 10 days.
CE completion requirements
- CE participants must be pharmacists.
- Participants must complete the online activity, passing a cumulative quiz (70% or better).
- Following successful completion of the above activity requirements as well as submission of a course evaluation and verification of completion form, participants will be able to access their CPE data directly from the Monitor. Once information is received by NABP, the tracking system will make CPE data for each participant available to the state boards of pharmacy where the participant is licensed or registered.
Register for Billing for MTM Services in Minnesota. Click "Add to Cart" and complete the checkout process to enroll in this course. For more information about the next offering of this course, please contact the Continuing Pharmacy Education office at email@example.com.
Discounts are available for groups of two or more participants from the same institution.