Foundations of Motivational Interviewing
Foundations of Motivational Interviewing is an online, application-based activity that teaches pharmacists the basics of motivational interviewing techniques. Community pharmacists can use these communication tools to help patients improve self-management of chronic diseases. Participants in this course will learn through practice scenarios how to perform key motivational interviewing techniques, such as using open-ended questions, affirmation, reflection, and summarization to elicit change talk. This course aims to help pharmacists enhance their practice skills and fill a critical knowledge gap in patient care.
This program was designed for any pharmacist having direct patient care responsibilities, particularly in a community pharmacy setting.
Successful completion is 70% or better on a final case-based assessment and completion of an evaluation and verification of completion.
The next session of this course will be offered July 17 - August 18, 2017.
At the end of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Define the philosophy and role of motivational interviewing.
- Explain the benefits of using motivational interviewing in the community setting.
- Recognize the patient's motivation to change by gauging his or her confidence and readiness to change, and the importance of change
- Identify techniques of motivational interviewing such as using open-ended questions, affirmation, reflection, and summarization.
- Demonstrate skills and techniques of motivational interviewing using case examples.
During this knowledge-based online activity, materials consist of various instructional materials, including: presentations, handouts, case-based scenarios for self-assessment and a final assessment applying fundamentals of motivational interviewing in a timed activity.
Participants will be required to pass (70% or better) a final case-based timed assessment in the final section of the course. Participants can log in and access the learning materials 24 hours/day-7 days/week, at their convenience. This activity totals 5 contact hours.
Course activities can be completed at any time within the five scheduled weeks of this course, but the final assessment must be completed by that final five-week deadline. There are five modules that coincide with the five weeks:
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing.
- What is Motivational Interviewing?
- How to Begin
- Practical and Survival Skills
- Practice and Assessment
In support of improving patient care, University of Minnesota, Interprofessional Continuing Education is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The Universal Activity Number is 0031-0000-17-012-H01-P. Initial release: March 2017. Expiration Date: March 2020. This application-based online activity has been approved for 5 contact hours.
CE completion requirements
- Participants must review course materials and complete a final assessment (passing with a 70% or better). This activity also provides optional activities.
- Following successful completion of the activity requirements, course evaluation, and a verification of completion form, participants will be able to access their CPE data directly from the Monitor. Once information is received by NABP, the tracking system will make CPE data for each participant available to the state boards of pharmacy where the participant is licensed or registered. Please allow 4 weeks after course completion for data to be complete.