Building a Medication Therapy Management Practice
Medication Therapy Management – also known as MTM – is a continually evolving practice where you can make a tremendous impact on patient care. By meeting directly with patients to assess their medication therapy and needs, you will help them discover why the pharmacist should be a core member of the patient’s healthcare team.
For any pharmacist interested in implementing their own MTM practice site or seeking to further develop an existing practice site, this online continuing education activity will prove valuable. This course will enable participants to make a proper evaluation before initiating a MTM practice, while highlighting the important infrastructure components of MTM services. In addition, participants will learn about billing, marketing, and competency tools to ensure the ongoing success of an MTM practice.
Successful completion is 70% or better on four assessments and completion of an evaluation and verification of completion.
The next offering of this course will run October 7-November 15, 2019.
After completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Describe MTM practice from the implementation perspective.
- List variables to assess and methods for assessment prior to developing a MTM practice.
- Outline important infrastructure components of a MTM practice.
- Utilize appropriate billing and marketing opportunities and procedures for a MTM practice.
- Implement a plan for maintaining professional competency and quality for MTM practice.
Sarah M. Westberg, PharmD, BCPS
Pharmaceutical Care and Health System
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
College of Pharmacy
Amanda R. Brummel, PharmD
Director, Clinical Ambulatory Pharmacy Services
Certified Pharmaceutical Care Pharmacist
Fairview Pharmacy Services, LLC
During this knowledge-based online activity, materials for each of the five modules will be released on a rolling basis, with new modules becoming available as soon as assessments for prior modules are completed. Content modules consist of various instructional materials, including: presentations, reading materials, and optional assignments, including a business plan.
Participants will be required to pass (70% or better) four short quizzes, meaning five questions or fewer, and participate in three discussion forums related to course topics.
Participants can log in and access the learning materials 24 hours/day-7 days/week, at their convenience. This activity totals 10 contact hours.
- Introduction to Building an MTM Practice
- Broad Health Care System Overview: Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) and Pharmacy's Role
- Broad Health Care System Overview: Accountable Care Organizations (ACO) and Pharmacy's Role
- Medication Therapy Management Quality Measures
- Module 1 Quiz
- Creating a Vision for your Practice
- Community and Practice Needs Assessment
- Building the Business Case through the Triple Aim
- Optional Assignment: Medication Therapy Management Business Plan
- Module 2 Quiz
- Infrastructure in MTM: Space, Support, and Efficiency
- Infrastructure in MTM: Documentation
- Relationship Development and Collaboration with Administrators
- Relationship Development and Collaboration with Other Health Care Professionals
- Discussion Forum: Collaborative Relationships
- Discussion Forum: Infrastructure Challenges
- Marketing and Recruitment for Patient Care Services
- Billing 101 for MTM Pharmacists
- Business Statements and Financial Planning
- Discussion Forum: Financial Infrastructure
- Module 4 Quiz
- Continuous Quality Improvement in Medication Therapy Management
- Collaborative Practice Agreements
- Continuing Professional Development for MTM Pharmacists
- Sustaining your Practice
- Module 5 Quiz
In support of improving patient care, University of Minnesota, Interprofessional Continuing Education is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
The Universal Activity Number is JA0000810-0000-19-057-H04-P. This application-based online activity has been approved for 10 contact hours.
CE completion requirements
- CE participants must be pharmacists.
- Participants must complete activity content, including 4 quizzes (passing with a 70% or better overall). This activity provides optional assignments, as well.
- Following successful completion of the activity requirements, course evaluation, and a verification of completion form, participants will be able to access their CPE data directly from the Monitor. Once information is received by NABP, the tracking system will make CPE data for each participant available to the state boards of pharmacy where the participant is licensed or registered. Please allow 4 weeks after course completion for data to be complete.
Registration and Fees
Register for Building a Medication Therapy Management Practice. Click "Add to Cart" and complete the checkout process to enroll in this course. For more information about the next offering of this course, please contact the Continuing Pharmacy Education office at email@example.com.
Discounts are available for groups of two or more participants from the same institution.