Timothy Wiedmann, PhD
Professor (partially retired), Department of Pharmaceutics
Professor (partially retired), Department of Pharmaceutics
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Department of Chemistry and Biophysics, University of Virginia
PhD in Pharmaceutics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
MS in Pharmaceutics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
BS in Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Cancer chemoprevention
- Drug delivery
- Liquid crystals
- Lung cancer
- Magnetic targeting
- Plasmon resonance
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension
- Respiratory drug delivery
The research activities of Professor Wiedmann share the common thread of characterizing the physical chemical properties of biological systems for optimizing drug delivery. His early studies consisted of investigating lung surfactant with the goal of understanding the functional significance of the lipid-protein interactions using surface chemistry, 2D-NMR spectroscopy, and solid-state NMR.
Professor Wiedmann has also studied colloidal systems, including solubilization and transport of bile salt/phospholipid micellar systems to characterize the intestinal absorption of drugs and crystallization of cholesterol as related to gallstone formation. PFG-SE NMR spectroscopy was used to determine the concentration dependence of the diffusion coefficient, and insight into the size, shape and excluded volume effects of bile salt mixed micelles in glycoprotein networks have been obtained.
A major research area has been inhalation delivery in rodent animal models. This has included a wide range of compounds for potential application in cancer chemoprevention and chemotherapy, cystic fibrosis, and pulmonary arterial hypertension as well as lung surfactant for respiratory distress syndrome. He has also administered magnetic iron oxide and lipid- and polymer-based nanoparticles. Most recently, he has focused on testing the inhalation toxicity of aldehydes associated with cigarettes and e-cigarettes. For these purposes, Professor Wiedmann has developed an aerosol/vapor delivery system for testing the safety and effectiveness of chemicals/particulate systems delivered to rodent respiratory tracts.
- Estensen RD, Jordan MM, Wiedmann TS, Galbraith AR, Steele VE, Wattenberg LW (2004) Effect of chemopreventive agents on separate stages of progression of benzo[a]pyrene induced lung tumors in A/J mice. Carcinogenesis, 25(2):197-201.
- Liao X, Wiedmann, TS (2005) Measurement of process-dependent material properties of pharmaceutical solids by nanoindentation. J Pharm Sci, 94:79-82.
- Hitzman CJ, Wiedmann TS, Dai H, Elmquist WF (2005) Measurement of drug release from microcarriers by microdialysis. J Pharm Sci, 94(7):1456-1466.
- Hitzman CJ, Elmquist WF, Wattenberg LW, Wiedmann TS (2006) Development of a respirable, sustained release microcarrier for 5-fluorouracil I: In vitro assessment of liposomes, microspheres, and lipid coated nanoparticles. J Pharm Sci, 95(5):1114-1126.
- Hitzman CJ, Elmquist WF, Wiedmann TS (2006) Development of a respirable, sustained release microcarrier for 5-fluorouracil II: In vitro and in vivo optimization of lipid coated nanoparticles. J Pharm Sci, 95(5):1127-1143.
- Picker-Freyer KM, Liao X, Zhang G, Wiedmann TS (2007) Evaluation of the compaction of sulfathiazole polymorphs. J Pharm Sci, 96(8):2111-2124.
- Zhang G, Feng X, Wabner K, Fandrey C, Naqwi A, Wiedmann TS, Olsen TW (2007) Intraocular nanoparticle drug delivery: a pilot study using an aerosol during pars plana vitrectomy. Inv Ophth Vis Sci, 48(11):5243-5249.
- Anderson MW, Goodin C, Zhang Y, Kim S, Estensen RD, Wiedmann TS, Sekar P, Buncher CR, Khoury JC, Garbow JR, You M, Tichelaar JW (2008) Effect of dietary green tea extract and aerosolized difluoromethylornithine during lung tumor progression in A/J strain mice. Carcinogenesis, 29:1594-1600.
- Hilton C, Wiedmann T, St. Martin M, Humphrey B, Schleiffarth R, Rimmel F (2008) Differential Deposition of Aerosols in the Maxillary Sinus of Human Cadavers by Particle Size. Am J Rhinol, 22(4):395-398.
- Zeng P, Zhang G, Rao A, Bowles W, Wiedmann TS (2009) Concentration dependent aggregation properties of chlorhexidine salts. Int J Pharm, 367:73-78.
- Xie Y, Zeng P, Siegel RA, Wiedmann TS, Hammer BE, Longest PW (2010) Magnetic Deposition of Aerosols Composed of Aggregated Superparamagnetic Nanoparticles. Pharm Res, 27:855-865.
- Xie Y, Longest PW, Xu YH, Wang JP, Wiedmann TS (2010) In vitro and in vivo lung deposition of coated magnetic aerosol particles. J Pharm Sci, 99(11):4658-4668.
- Heman-Ackah SE, Juhn SK, Huang TC, Wiedmann TS (2010) A combination antioxidant therapy prevents age-related hearing loss in C57BL/6 mice. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 143(3):429-434.
- Turner C, Eggleston G, Lunos S, Wiedmann T, Johnson N, Bowles WR (2011) Sniffing out endodontic pain: Use of an intranasal analgesic in a randomized clinical trial. J Endodon, 37:439-444.
- Yi D, Wiedmann TS, Naqwi A, Price AP, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A (2012) Distribution of aerosols in murine obliterative bronchiolitis lungs by fluorescent imaging. Exp Lung Res, 38(7):325-332.
- Gülden O, Wiedmann TS (2012) Deposition of aerosol particles in a model vitreous chamber. Drug Dev Ind Pharm, 38(7):893-898.
- Cheng KW, Wong CC, Alston NM, Gerardo G, Huang L, Ouyang N, Xie G, Wiedmann T, Rigas B (2013) Aerosol administration of phospho-sulindac inhibits lung tumorigenesis. Mol Canc Therap, 12(8):1417-1428.
- Sadhukha T, Wiedmann TS, Panyam J (2013) Inhalable magnetic nanoparticles for targeted hyperthermia in lung cancer therapy. Biomaterials, 34(21):5163-5171.
- Medarametla V, Festin S, Sugarragchaa C, Eng A, Naqwi A, Wiedmann T, Zisman LS (2014) PK10453, a nonselective platelet-derived growth factor receptor inhibitor, prevents the progression of pulmonary arterial hypertension. Pulm Circ, 4:82-102.
- Jing Y, Liu J, Ji WH, Wang W, He SH, Jiang XZ, Wiedmann T, Wan C, Wang JP (2015) Biocompatible Fe-Si Nanoparticles with Adjustable Self-Regulation of Temperature for Medical Applications. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces, 7(23):12649-12654. 10.1021/acsami.5b01680
- Yao X, Sabyrov K, Klein T, Penn RL, Wiedmann TS (2015) Evaluation of magnetic heating of asymmetric magnetite particles. J Magn Magn Mat, 381:21-27. 10.1016/j.jmmm.2014.12.035
- Wiedmann TS, Naqwi A (2016) Pharmaceutical salts: Theory, use in solid dosage forms and in situ preparation in an aerosol. Asian J Pharm Sci, 11:722-734. 10.1016/j.ajps.2016.07.002
- Tǎbǎran AF, O'Sullivan MG, Seabloom DE, Vevang KR, Smith WE, Wiedmann TS, Peterson LA (2019) Inhaled Furan Selectively Damages Club Cells in Lungs of A/J Mice. Toxicol Pathol, 47(7):842-850. 10.1177/0192623319869306
- Layek B, Rahman Nirzhor SS, Rathi S, Kandimalla K, Wiedmann TS, Prabha S (2019) Design, Development, and Characterization of Imiquimod-Loaded Chitosan Films for Topical Delivery. AAPS PharmSciTech, 20:58. 10.1208/s12249-018-1288-5