Course Requirements for Pharmacy School Admissions
The courses listed below need to be completed before students begin the Pharm.D. program. They can be planned or in progress at the time students apply. For Fall 2014 admission: All prerequisites must be completed by August 18, 2014. Use the Guide of Approved Prerequisites to find the pre-approved prerequisites at your school.
Although it's not required to have a bachelor's degree to start the Pharm.D. program, applicants with a BS or BA are given preference. About 90% of admitted students have a bachelor's degree. Choose a major you like - any major! Students over 60 different majors are in the program.
- Must be taken at a regionally-accredited university or community college
- Must be at least 3 semester credits, taken A-F, and completed with a grade of C- or better
- May be satisfied by AP or IB or College in the Schools credit if it appears on a college transcript
|General biology, including lab||1 course|
|Microbiology, including lab||1 course|
|Human Anatomy (1)||1 course, or entire combined A&P sequence|
|Human Physiology (1)||1 course, or entire combined A&P sequence|
|Advanced Biology (2)||1 course|
|Calculus I||1 course|
|General Chemistry, including labs||2 courses|
|Organic Chemistry, including labs||2 courses|
|General Physics (calculus-based)||1 course (or 2 courses of algebra-based)|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences (3)||2 courses|
|English Composition, advanced (pdf) (4)||1 course|
|Public Speaking or Interpersonal Communication||1 course|
1. If combined A&P sequence is 2 semesters, both must be completed (A&P I&II). If A&P is combined into one course, it must be a minimum of 5 semester credits. Labs are not required for Anatomy or Physiology.
2. Recommended courses: biochemistry, cell biology, genetics or molecular biology. Any other course must focus on the human body.
3. Recommended courses: psychology, sociology, economics, human development, epidemiology, anthropology, global issues, archaeology, education, geography, history, journalism, law, linguistics, management, political science, etc.
4. You may be able to complete the advanced writing requirement for your school’s bachelor degree instead, see our Advanced English Composition Prerequisite Guidelines (pdf).
Find Out More
International coursework can fulfill the prerequisites. If you took international courses that do not appear on a US transcript, you will need a course-by-course evaluation to be submitted as part of your PharmCAS application.
→ Find out more: international applicants & coursework
Find Our Prerequisites
What courses should you take at your school?
→ Find our prerequisites (pdf) at your school